…or other things?
Why buy a tablet? Well, I guess the question is “buy a tablet for what?”. I already have an Android smartphone, which means that I already have always-on internet.
Just to set the stage, I will compare the iPad to an ubuntu netbook. For both I will use the base models, with no frills, for simplicity.
- Price: Netbook $385, iPad $499 — a win for the netbook, but fairly minor.
- Weight: Netbook 2.0lb, iPad 1.5lb — a win for the netbook, but fairly minor.
- Size: Netbook 10.5″x 7.3″, iPad 9.5″ x 7.4″ — a win for the iPad (I guess?), but fairly minor.
- Interaction model: Netbook: kb+mouse,WIMP iPad touch — for me, at least, that’s a netbook win.
- Battery life: Netbook: a few hours, iPad amazing — clear win for the iPad
- Scriptable: Netbook yes, iPad no — clear win for the netbook, at least for me.
I am seriously contemplating getting the netbook. I’m trying hard to think of things (other than battery life) which are a clear win for the iPad (or any tablet, really)…
[Lest I forget: I’ve Mobile Hotspot on my Android, so whichever one I got, there is no need for it to be 3G.]