This is a recipe I got from my mom.
Leek patties recipe (about 15-20 patties)
1 small egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Oil (Canola or corn oil)
1. Clean the leeks and remove the leaves up to light green part.
2. Cut the leek into rings 1/2 cm wide.
3. Put the rings into a pot, add a 1/4 cup cold water ,cover the pot and simmer for about 5-10 minutes on medium–high heat until leeks are soft.
4. Pour the leeks into a strainer and wait until all water has drained.
5. Leave to cool (about 20-30 minutes).
6. Pour the leeks into a large mixing bowel.
7. Add 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and the egg into the bowel and mix well of all ingredients.
8. Take a full spoon of mixture and form patties with wet hand about 5-6 cm diameter and about 1 cm height.
9. Pour oil into a frying pan (about 1cm deep), Heat oil over medium-high heat.
10. Put patties into the hot oil with spaces to allow easy turnover of patties.
11. Fry until golden brown and turnover, using two flat spoons to avoid break up of patties.
12. Fry on the second side also until golden brown.
13. Remove patties and spread over a paper towel sheet , to absorb the oil