What if facebook gave you an e-mail?
- There is already the “user name” feature, so the e-mail would be obvious (<username>@facebook.com)
- The UI for that already exists (messages)
What would they need to add?
- Messages don’t support “cc”, “bcc”
- Messages cannot be forwarded
- Spam filtering
- Better message management (tags, folders, search, etc.)
Would people use this?
- They can start small and expand. Start with having employees’ @facebook.com addresses handled through this system to flush out problems, expand to “suggesting it to interested users”, etc.
- People are already messaging through the FB platform — this would give them one less reason to ever leave facebook.
Why would facebook do it?
- It can do various things with it — for example, if the person e-mailed has an account with facebook, as well as sending them an e-mail, it can also send them a message inside facebook.
- More platform engagement.
I believe the writing is on the wall — facebook is going to be offering facebook e-mails as soon as they can hack it together.